Open Burning Restrictions


  • Recreational fires are allowed

  • All BBQ's are allowed

Daily Burn Information Line: (877) 982-0011

Open Burning is regulated by the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) and the Department of Agriculture.








DEQ at (503) 378-8240

or toll free at (800) 349-7677

Open Burning season is between the following dates:


SPRING - March 1 through June 15 


FALL - October 15 through December 15




Open Burning Safety


  • Fires must be attended by a responsible adult until the fire is completely burned out or extinguished (No smoke or steam remaining)

  • Keep your fires smaller and manageable (Recommended 4 feet in diameter at most)

  • Keep the space around the burn area clear (10+ feet of non-combustible materials)

  • Do not locate the fire under overhead lines, overhanging trees, near fences or structures

  • Always have a hand tool and water (Charged water hose recommended) at the burn area to control the fire and extinguish it if necessary

  • Never burn unsafe materials or utilize flammable liquids to light your fire


Backyard Burning 

Backyard Burning is the burning of debris in an outdoor fireplace, burn barrel, backyard incinerator, or piles of yard debris?  You can only burn during open burning seasons - call the daily burn information line, or click the burn information button above before you burn.


Allowed Materials - What can I burn?

You can burn yard debris: wood, needles, or leaves from plants/trees grown and burned on the property of origin.


Prohibited Materials - What can't I burn?

You can NOT burn garbage, tires, plastics, decomposable garbage (organic material, bulk papers), petroleum and petroleum-treated materials, asphalt and asphalt materials, chemicals (pesticides, cleaners, detergents, or any materials that produce black or dense smoke.)

You can NOT burn materials that have been transported from another property.  Materials must be from the property you are burning on.





For smoke complaints please contact the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality at: (503) 378-8240


Agricultural Burning

Agricultural burning ("Ag burning") is the burning of any agriculture waste generated by an agricultural operation that uses, or intends to use, land primarily for the purpose of obtaining a profit by raising, harvesting, and selling crops or raising or selling animals (including poultry) or the products of animal husbandry.  Prohibited materials, such as garbage or tires, cannot be burned even in an agricultural setting.  If you have a complaint regarding agricultural burning, please call (503) 986-4709.

NO PERMIT REQUIRED FOR THE AURORA FIRE DISTRICT (Call the burn information line before you burn)






Field Burning

The burning of residue left from the harvest of crop is regulated by the Oregon Department of Agriculture. If you have a complaint about field burning, please call the Department of Agriculture at (503) 986-4709.




Smoke Complaints please contact DEQ at: (503) 378-8240 or toll free at (800) 349-7677